So, today we're going to take look at autoimmune disorders. The one I first began to deal with is called Sjogren's Syndrome. I'll write more about Sjogren's over time, but today were looking at the autoimmune phenomenon in general.
It's hard for a lot of people to understand and frankly, when you're first diagnosed, it may be hard to wrap your own head around what "autoimmune" means.
I was sick for a very long time before I was diagnosed, but had I known then what I know now I might have received treatment earlier and avoided a lot of confusion and pain.
Basically know this:
- autoimmune disorders mean your body is attacking itself and killing parts of itself
- there are red flags that will give you indications you could be dealing with an autoimmune disorder
- you can't cure an autoimmune disorder, but you can try to manage it
- they tend to cluster - or if you develop one, you'll probably develop others
- and, they tend to cluster in families
If you or a family member or loved one deals with an autoimmune disorder, or is facing a new diagnosis with one, please, please read this article. It will begin to take the scary and mystery out of autoimmune.
© 2015 Beverly Hicks Burch All Rights Reserved.